Sunday, April 10, 2011

What part of North Carolina should I move to?


What part of North Carolina should I move to?
I currently live in Upstate NY (in a very suburban area) and I plan on moving about April 2009. I have family that lives in Charlotte, and I'd like to live within 2-3 hours from them, but I want to live near (no more than 30 minutes away from) a beach. I want warm summers and springs, gorgeous falls, and mild snow in winter. I have a 16 year old daughter and she's very artsy, so I'd like to live in an area where she could utilize that. I have another child on the way, so I'll need a good school for the both of them, as well as a safe neighborhood. I'm a nurse, so I'll need to live in an area with a major hospital. My parents will move with us, and I'll need a duplex or a house with an in-law apartment for them. My dad enjoys golfing (perhaps he could join a country club?) and my mom would need to live within 10 minutes of retail stores. Animals are extremely important to me; I rescue them and I have a lot of my own. I'll definitely need a good veterinary hospital (I currently live near one of the best that NY has) and a very animal-friendly community. I'd like to spend no more than $250,000 on a house, but I'm not sure what I could get for that. I'm not aware if these things are unrealistic, but I would appreciate some advice!
Other - United States - 2 Answers
Random Answers, Critics, Comments, Opinions :
1 :
Charlotte is about 3 hours west from where I am (Raleigh), but Raleigh is a good few hours at least to the beach. NC is very spread out, it can take you 7 hours to drive across the entire length of the state. This was weird for me, coming from NY also, because up there you can drive 2 hours and be in another state lol. The Raleigh area will provide everything you are looking for given your descriptions. I would avoid Durham as parts aren't as nice, Chapel Hill or Cary may also work, but Cary people have reputations for being jerks (and ex-Yankees with too much money) plus Cary has a bunch of weird restrictions on how you can decorate your lawn etc. Raleigh has every store you know and love from the northland, and more. LOTS of great colleges here, which means lots of good art programs. Anything more east of Raleigh is hickville, but if you don't mind driving a bit to get places its ok. Raleigh itself is about 1 hour drive to get across the entire city, so everyone will need a car. $250k will get you a decently large sized house here, and a mansion if you go outside town. Lots of golfing and places with activities, great hospitals (Duke, Rex, and Wake Med). Lots of animal groups around too, its one of the more liberal areas in NC. I recommend ! Just be warned, the summers here are ridiculously unbearably hot! GL ! :)
2 :
being no more than 30 min away from a beach would be somewhere in the wilmington are..it is also not to far from charlotte. wilmington is a pretty large beachy town. there is great food and attractions and alot of golf..housing is on the higher side but its really a great city..anywhere in that area is.

Popular Posts