Saturday, May 14, 2011

I want to go to college but only have a GED?


I want to go to college but only have a GED?
I dropped out of highschool in 11th grade (severe emotional problems due to family trouble) I worked menial jobs for a few years and lived with my girlfriend. I wasted allot of time on pipe dreams I had. I went back to get my GED so I can attend massage therapy school. at some point I would really love to attend UNCC (university of north carolina charlotte) but I'm not sure if a university will accept someone with just a GED I don't know how I could go about getting the missing high school credits. Facts: I scored very high on my SAT I have a very high IQ On my GED test I had perfect scores (except on the essay, which my score was still above average) Question: how can I get back in school and quit wasting my life :( I am 26 years old, a delivery driver, I live on my own and I feel like a loser who is going nowhere... help!! any ideas? please!
Other - Education - 4 Answers
Random Answers, Critics, Comments, Opinions :
1 :
just grab an application to any college. you have a bright future!
2 :
your GED is as good as a diploma. if would start out with a small school and get an associates degree and then transfer to a four year late. the first 2 years of school are all classes you have to take like english-math etc. and it is easier to take them in smaller classes and less money spent per credit hour also.
3 :
Let's review your situation, shall we? "I am 26 years old, a delivery driver, I live on my own and I feel like a loser who is going nowhere." The fact that you live on your own and are gainfully employed at 26 would indicate that you are NOT a loser. "I went back to get my GED so I can attend massage therapy school." You didn't mention whether or not you’d completed the program at the massage therapy school. If you had, I'm assuming you'd at least be a part time massage therapist. "at some point I would really love to attend UNCC”. You indicate wanting to attend UNCC, however you don't seem to indicate what you'd like to accomplish once you get there. You don't appear to have picked a career path that you'd like to travel. "I wasted allot of time on pipe dreams I had." Might I suggest that you visit this link? It provides a wealth of information pertaining to the following areas in literally 100's of different types of jobs. Before you make a choice about a career, you'd probably want to know something about it. Check here first: Occupational Outlook Handbook, 2010-11 Edition. http://www.bls.gov/search/ooh.htm * Nature of the Work * Training, Other Qualifications, and Advancement * Employment * Job Outlook * Projections * Earnings * Wages * Related Occupations * Sources of Additional Information Having spent some time researching the direction in which you want to travel, you'll have a much better idea of the "Training, and Other Qualifications" that you'll need to get you there. You now have the basis of a "Game Plan" to follow. Since most community colleges have "open admission" policies, you can use a CC as a stepping stone to a 4 year college. Once you’ve identified the program of study or your college “major”, you’ll want to visit the community college/s that you are thinking of attending and ask about such things as articulation agreements and 2 + 2 programs. You’ll ALSO want to visit the four year college that you’re planning to transfer to so that they can assist you in developing your “game plan”. There are instances where you may find a local college/university that will accept more than your basic GEN ED courses towards the degree that they award on a case-by-case basis. I’d recommend that you obtain a copy of the community college’s catalog and bring it along with you when you ask for assistance at the 4 year school. I’m sure that the professors there will be willing to indicate which courses they will or will not accept in their program if you make it clear that your intent is to graduate from their school. Good Luck! The site below is a great source of info for both students and parents of college bound students. : http://www.college.gov/wps/portal/ You can find out what sort of Federal Financial Aid is available to you at this site: http://www.fafsa.ed.gov/
4 :
you can go on any college web site and see what the requirements are to attend there. Most colleges do accept a GED. None of the credits you get at message therapy school would transfer over to a four year college. You may be better off just starting college classes. You may be able to get a good financial aid package. My son applied at the age of 24 and was able to cover all costs with grants and loans

Popular Posts