Thursday, June 16, 2011

Am I making a mistake leaving one college after 2 years, then trying next year for a better school?


Am I making a mistake leaving one college after 2 years, then trying next year for a better school?
I go to Johnson and Wales in charlotte right now, its horrible and I hate everything about it, I know if I graduate Im never gonna get a good job and Ill be stuck in that satanic institution Bank Of America in this hell hole of North Carolina, and I'm constantly embarassed whenever someone asks me where I go to college, Ive actually started to lie and say I go to a local community college So Im about to finish my 2nd year with a 3.25 GPA and an Associates Degree in accounting, they don't off calculus and I failed the course at CPCC (Community College) so I can't transfer in next year, I plan to use next year to retake Calculus and some other courses and then try to transfer into NC State as a junior in 2009-2010. to get my bachelors in accounting. am I making a mistake. I would want more then anything to go to NC state and see what a real college is like, I absolutely hate Johnson and Wales. but I don't know what i'm gonna do If I don't get into state my dad is giving me this one year provided I pay for all my CC courses myself, and If I don't get back into a 4 year university then I'm out of the house. Can I really get into state with the Associates in Accounting from Johnson and Wales (They are accredited) and some other courses from a Community College (Im only gonna take enough to be a full time student and all of them will be for transferring into NC STATE). please help me
Higher Education (University +) - 2 Answers
Random Answers, Critics, Comments, Opinions :
1 :
I say go for it. If you don't apply, you definitely won't get it :) Best of luck!!!!!
2 :
Your associates from J&W is not useless. You can use it to transfer to a strong university, and your GPA is good. But you must apply to more than just NC State. I do not think you're making a mistake by retaking calculus, and by taking any other classes required by NC State for transfer students. I do not think you're making a mistake by finishing your associates at J&W, and then transferring to a different, stronger college to get your bachelors. In fact, once you have your bachelors, no one will care where you got your associates (you can even leave it off your resume if you want to.) However, you must apply to more colleges than just NC State. You must have some backups that you like. I want you to go to a good school in a year, but there is no guarantee that it'll be NC State. Have some backups. NC State is an extremely competitive college to get into. They let in less than half of the transfer applicants who apply. The average GPA of its admitted students is higher than your current GPA. I believe that you should apply, no question, but you must have some back up schools. When you do apply to schools, I recommend you follow this pattern: - NC State and, if you want, one other somewhat reach school - A couple schools that fit your GPA quite well - A couple schools where your GPA makes you pretty darn sure you'd get in - One super back up school, which you really, really think you'll get into. And make *all* those schools be academically respectable colleges that fit that "real college" criteria you've set. An aside: when you retake calculus, ask for tutoring immediately. Do not wait until you're having trouble - you already know you've failed this course once. Ask for tutoring in the first week or so. The cc will have a tutoring center, or ask your academic advisor to help hook you up with a tutor.

Popular Posts