Thursday, June 2, 2011

Am I aiming too high with the colleges I am applying to?


Am I aiming too high with the colleges I am applying to?
Alright so I am a junior in high school, and I am in the International Baccalaureate (International Honors Program) program at my high school, and I have always been in honors courses. Currently my GPA is 3.14 and my weighted GPA is 3.86. SAT scores are not determined yet but I will probably get someone around 1900 - 2100. (Hopefully) I am very active in my school community and have many leadership roles. I am My Class Vice President and next in line for School President I am an editor of my school newspaper I have done Student Government on a county level and participated on the county level Executive Board I have been in all of my schools plays and musicals and I am founder and president of my schools Community and Service Club. (Those are only my leadership role, I participate in many more clubs and activities along with that) I am also African American Many of the colleges that I am aiming for are known at top universities, and I am not sure if my GPA is so bad that it would prevent me from getting into these schools regardless of my Extra Curricular Activities. What do you think? Should I aim lower? Colleges I am applying to: - University of Maryland - Georgetown University - University of Virginia - Penn State University - Tulane University - University of North Carolina- Chapel Hill - University of North Caroline at Wilmington - University of North Carolina at Charlotte - University of North Carolina at Greensboro - University of California- Berkeley - University of Southern California - Northeastern University - Boston University - Princeton University - Cornell University - University of Chicago - Duke University - University of Michigan
Higher Education (University +) - 12 Answers
Random Answers, Critics, Comments, Opinions :
1 :
Your not aiming to high, no!
2 :
I dont think you can ever aim too high, especially as an african american. Never aim lower.
3 :
IMO, you've got a good selection of schools on your list. Some that are reaches, but not impossible - Georgetown is an example. Some, IMO, that are perhaps very good fits - Tulane, Northeastern. And some that could be potential backups - UNC Wilmington as example. Once you take the SAT, continue to look at schools in that way. Make sure you have some reaches - where you love the school, but your SAT/GPA is perhaps low for them. Some fits, where your SAT/GPA are right in their ranges. And some backups, where your SAT/GPA is maybe a bit high for them.
4 :
You have amazing extracurriculars; if you get that SAT score that's great. Your GPA is decent. Some of those schools are definitely stretches--namely Princeton, Cornell, Chicago,Berkeley and Duke. You have a really good list of safeties, reaches and matches, though (the UNC schools, except for Chapel Hill, are all good safeties)
5 :
Like my mom always used to say (though to be fair, she was quoting someone!), "make THEM tell you no"... i.e throw your hat in the ring and don't assume failure. You're a great student, with super activities, and I'd be willing to bet you get into at least half of these schools. It won't be just because you're African American - my kid is Mexican and she was concerned that her acceptances might be due to that, but the truth is, no school can afford to accept students who they don't think can do the work. You will get into a great school, because you earned it. Aim high.
6 :
You can never aim too high. You miss all of the shots you don't take. I think you could narrow down your list though. What are you going to be studying specifically. Take this into consideration for the school you choose. For instance if you were to study to become a doctor I might say go with University of Michigan. If you were studying Engineering I woulds say go with MIT (though its not on your list).
7 :
The schools you listed of are a wide enough range, that there will be some that you get in. But your odds of Georgetown, UNC-Chapel Hill, Berkeley, USC, Princeton, Cornell, Chicago and Duke are very very limited given you stats. For those schools, a higher SAT score is necessary and higher GPA. The other schools you probably have a decent shot at though.
8 :
On behalf of Admissions Offices everywhere, thank you for your generous donations. I love seeing students waste money on places that won't admit them. Seriously, instead of this 'shotgun' approach to a bunch of name schools, why don't you apply a little finesse? There are several free online services that help you find a school that is already accepting students with your credentials. My favorite is College Matchmaker, from the College Board company. Go to that website, enter your personal information and SAT or ACT scores, tell them where [State or area or even by zip code] you want to go to college and what majors you may be interested in, and see what comes up. Then, make sure that you apply to at least three of the schools likely to accept you. College admissions can be cruel at times, and you definitely want to have some choice Here is the web address: http://collegesearch.collegeboard.com/search/adv_typeofschool.jsp Also, it is a good idea to read what other students say about the colleges you are investigating. The best free site for that feedback is run by The Princeton Review. Here is their web address: http://www.princetonreview.com/com.aspx
9 :
Your 3.14 GPA will keep you out of most of these schools, even if you're black. Aim more realistically.
10 :
You can never aim too high; the worst a college can say is "no".
11 :
The fact that you even listed a weighted GPA makes me think you believe it matters. No, you have a 3.14 GPA, and that is all that matters, universities do their own assessment of your grades. This is a much too low GPA to get into many of these schools (georgetown, berkeley, boston, princeton, cornell, chicago, duke, michigan, maybe the others too) You have some schools in there that could be possible for you to get admitted, but ultimately, most of those schools will easily (sorry) reject you. If you just have to know you tried all you could in order to get into the schools that you wanted, then go ahead and apply. Ultimately though, you will be wasting hundreds of dollars on application fees. It cannot be too friendly to the ego either, to be greeted by 12 rejection letters/deferrals. I have never known someone who wanted to apply to that many colleges. People apply to five sometimes, and even that is excessive. Apply to a few schools, not freaking 18. Again, you will be spending a lot of money here. Even if you have it, it is foolish to be so wasteful. I do not know how much application fees cost at all these universities, but at Michigan it costs $55. Assuming this is typical, you will be spending close to $1000 on applications that will just get you rejected. Your extracurriculars are fine, but they do not at all make up for your GPA, and do not think for a moment they do. IB does not make up for anything either. If you bother to even take IB, then you should be able to get As in them. If not, then take lower level classes. This is hard to hear, but you do not stand out so much right now. You have to realize how big this country is. Tens of thousands of people apply to these schools each year for only thousands of spots (e.g. michigan gets ~ 30000 apps per year). There are tens of thousands of applicants who have better records than you do, so there is essentially a zero chance of getting into a lot of these schools, especially the ivy league ones. That was a mean way to say it, but i was just being frank and not spending extra effort to sugar coat it/delicately phrase it. In all, what you propose is extremely unrealistic, you should aim much lower. And, if your heart insists, then apply to some of these schools too. My question is, why are no state schools listed? Those are a better bet for you, and they are fine educations.
12 :
No. From the colleges I see above be prepared to see some acceptance letters! I went to penn state with a lowerv HS GPA and lower SAT's. If you stay in state the cost will be lower. I see you have universities from diffrent states. GOOD LUCK!

Popular Posts