Wednesday, June 8, 2011

I am from NYC I visited Charlotte (Mecklenburg) and I loved it. Is it a good place to raise a family?


I am from NYC I visited Charlotte (Mecklenburg) and I loved it. Is it a good place to raise a family?
I was in Charlotte, NC (Mecklenburg) for a week and I loved it. The homes were in sub communities at a reasonable price. In comparison to NYC the pace was much slower and the people just seem genuine. I work in the financial services industry and I feel confidant that finding a job in my field would not be a problem. My wife is in the process of finishing her LPN program. However, before making any hasty moves I would like to know what am I to expect if I decide to move there. After all I have three kids (ages 5, 8, 10) and would like some feed back on how are the schools in Mecklenburg? What area would be a good place to live? How are the race relations (I am Haitian-American)? And what are the drawbacks of leaving a city like New York to go to North Carolina? Thanks for your response!
Family - 3 Answers
Random Answers, Critics, Comments, Opinions :
1 :
As a North Carolina native, I can tell you that your first impression was correct. Charlotte is a great town. There is another city nearby that I would suggest, however. Cary, NC. Cary ranks 5th on Money Magazine's 10 best cities in The USA.
2 :
I like the are myself and I use to live in Newton,NC that's 50 miles away from Charlotte and from all I know, have seen and heard, Charlotte area is good place to find work and to raise a family...like many Southern towns racial problems do arise just like in other big cities. The city doesn't rank well in the crime area(http://money.cnn.com/magazines/moneymag/bplive/2006/snapshots/PL3712000.html) --- high crime record. The city ranked Number 5. of the best places to live isn't too far away... the city of Cary,NC scored very well as a great place to live, work, raise family and has nice schools too.
3 :
You could get the stats about anything you want to know about any city in the world online and base your move on that information but to know first-hand from the people who actually live(d) in the area would probably be worth much more to you in the end. Like any other place you choose to investigate, you will find each has its good and bad points. You will find that when you are in NC visiting, what you see REALLY is what you get. We aren't a people who "pretend" too much about anything. When we tell you and your family to "come see us sometime", we really mean it (and expect it). People in NC generally are genuinely accepting of others no matter where they are from or what their cultures may be. Once you are moved into the area, don't be surprised if you are invited to a backyard BBQ or a pig-picking. NC moves at a slower pace than NYC but it's not in a bad way. We don't rush through this life because most of us have had to go through hardships and have learned to appreciate life more. We take the time to smell the flowers, speak to and get to know the people around us, life is way too short to speed through it and not enjoy God's wonders around us. In the state you can find almost anything you would like to do within just a few hours driving. I always liked being within 4 hours or less from the beaches or the mountains. I am originally from Winston Salem, NC. I moved away about 3 years ago to a very small town in TN and am planning to be back in NC within the next 2 years. The old saying "there's no place like home" rings true with me. I miss the people, the places and everything about NC. I left but until then, I took it all for granted. It is where my heart is and will always be.

Popular Posts