Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Hello, I am a college graduate in Charlotte North Carolina. I have a B.A in Psychology?


Hello, I am a college graduate in Charlotte North Carolina. I have a B.A in Psychology?
Hello, I am a college graduate in Charlotte North Carolina. I have a B.A in Psychology and plan on going to graduate school for counseling in the near future. I want to counsel people with "everyday" type issues and do not want to own a private practice. Since May 2009 I have searched for employment and have been unsuccessful. Please share with me possible employment locations and any great jobs which will allow me to use my degree. Thanks. Also, please share with me any colleges in North Carolina that does not require G.R.E for their counseling or social work program. And I was told to consider a master in Social work because they have more options than counselors and because I do not need to have a License in social work to counsel people. Is this true? (Again I am in Charlotte N.C) Thanks, :)
Higher Education (University +) - 2 Answers
Random Answers, Critics, Comments, Opinions :
1 :
You need a graduate degree or you won't find work in your field. If you want to be a social worker I suggest you research Margaret Sanger first, you may change your mind.
2 :
There aren't too many jobs for those with a bachelor's degree in psychology. That particular degree may be consider more of a liberal arts degree with some psychology courses or pre-graduate work. I was under the impression that a person does need to have a license to get a job in social work. Those with a master's degree in social work (MSW) need to have passed a licensing examination to become a licensed/clinical social worker (LCSW). For general career info: http://www.bls.gov/oco and can search 'counselors', 'social workers' or such. To search for accredited programs (and I would only consider ones accredited) in counseling: http://www.cacrep.org For accredited programs in social work: http://www.cswe.org This site may have possible volunteer opportunities such as perhaps working on a crisis helpline in which the person listens to the caller and may provide information and resources as well: http://www.volunteermatch.org

Popular Posts